Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Time's Up!

As an admin, there are many things I tolerate in the commission of my duties.  Cluelessness, Obliviots, etc.  Normally I can manage around all of this, but there are a couple of things that tend to send me over the edge.  One of those things is meeting management.
The reality is when facility resources are limited keeping meetings on time it ABSOLUTELY essential.
The situation that I find myself in is difficult. I don't like being a bad gal.  But I can be a spectacular Bad Gal if the situation calls for it.  Sometimes I need to knock on doors and remind people that they are running over and delaying other meetings.  I give them a  2 minute high sign.  If they can't wrap things up in that time, they will then need to adjourn and table the discussion for another time.
When the meeting run past the allotted 2 minute mark, well then I get mean.  I'll leave the rest to your imagination.
Here are a few helpful hints when running a meeting:
  1. Be aware of your subject matter - Are you scheduling enough time? Do you have an agenda to keep everyone on task?
  2. Know your people - Are they talkers?  Do you need to account extra time to accommodate?
  3. Is the conference room you've scheduled booked immediately after?  - Be courteous to the next group.  They are on equally tight schedules.
If you can at least follow these few strategies when planning your meetings, you will have successful meetings.
More importantly, you won't have me knocking on your door saying 'Time's up!'

No comments: