Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Rules at Work

Rules are a guideline by which behavior is governed in any given situation.  In a work environment it can be a boon and a curse all rolled into one.
You see, rules form a framework by which we can set our expectations of how we can conduct our selves in the workplace, do our jobs, expect compensation, etc.  Rules can also stymie the work environment.  Keep people from growing into their potential.

People who step beyond the boundaries set by the rules will be either lauded or vilified.
I frequently step outside the boundaries of my rules.  You could say, I run with scissors.

If something isn't working, I find a way to make it work.  I go over, under or around that which impedes me to get the job done. That often means rules get broken.

I don't advocate landing in jail.  Those rules shouldn't be broken.  But when an organization has become so hide bound by its own rules, sometimes a rule-breaker is just what the organization needs to find its path again.  Organizations that have no flexibility in them are the ones that fail.  Especially in today's climate.

Not all rule breakers survive in a rigid organization.  Organizations exist that appreciate the unique talents of these individuals.

No comments: